Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Vanilla Custard Icecream

Last year, for Christmas we got an ice-cream machine. I have been wanting to get one for sometime, but knowing me I probably wouldn't have bought it myself so I was quite happy. I have made tons of decent ice-cream and frozen yogurt in it. But this simple ice-cream was something that I really liked. The original recipe can be found here. Since I am new to the world of ice-cream making, I have not really experimented too much. So it is pretty much the same recipe.

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoon vanilla extract

Method

In a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°(I even used a thermometer); Add in the sugar and salt. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Add this mixture to the pan, whisking constantly. I always get nervous with this step. You see its easy to cook the eggs into some pacha mass while adding it to hot liquids. The key is to whisk constantly and add a little at a time. I also turned off the heat. One well mixed, turn heat back on low and stir continuously until mixture reaches at least 160°. The mixture is supposed to coat the back of a metal spoon but I was so intent on using my thermometer that I forgot to check. (PS I use my thermometer to make yogurt too. I feel like a chemist and I like it :D ).

Once it reaches 160° remove from the heat and place it in a ice bath to cool quickly. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. To prevent a cream layer on top press cling film/seran wrap/wax paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.

Use this mixture to make ice-cream in your machine according to the machine directions. Transfer to a freezer container and freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.

Here is an extra. I had some brownies from the store. I heated those up. Put in a spoon of ice-cream over it and had it. Just plain delicious! Now I can't wait to make some green tea ice cream as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment