Sunday, August 25, 2013

Barbeque Chicken

Last week for the first time in my life I went camping. OK now that this confession is out of the way I can concentrate on the food.

So last week for the first time in my life I went camping. Now Mono INSISTED that he makes this trip all rugged and rough, as are all camping trips are supposed to be, I was having none of that. I carried my toilet paper, my face wash, my lens case and solution, and even my perfume...if I was dying in the wilds I was going out in style. In addition I decided that my last meal would not be crappy. You see I was convinced I was going to die. So ignoring Mono's protests I marinated the chicken I was taking to the camp. I wanted good food. It doesn't always have to be too too rough. Not when you are going out just for a night.

And are we so glad that I insisted. Because you see...this barbeque chicken..was excellent!! Without further ado this is what I did. I got this recipe online and you can go here for the original
We need 3 things:
  1. Magic dust
  2. Barbecue sauce
  3. Chicken thighs.

MAGIC DUST
  • 1/2 cup paprika
  • 1/4 cup regular salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons mustard powder
  • 1/4 cup chile powder
  • 1/4 cup ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup  garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons cayenne (or less to taste)
Combine ingredients in a container and mix thoroughly. Use some and keep the rest. Trust me, you will use this dust to make this chicken again and again.

For the chicken, I punched some holes in the chicken and sprinkled the magic dust all over the chicken. I left it on the marinated it in the refrigerator overnight. Though I guess you could use the chicken right-away as well.

BARBECUE SAUCE

This is what I used
  • 2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
  • 1 tablespoon magic dust (recipe above)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Hot sauce (such as Tabasco) to taste
I put all the ingredients into a saucepan and boiled it. Once it started boiling I turned the heat down to a simmer and cooked it for about 10 minutes until it was think and dark. Once it was done I cooled it and packed it up for my camping trip.

Once we got to the campsite I realized that the grill there would not let us use coal. So I improvised and decided to cook it on fire. One thing I did though was cook it on indirect heat. I didn't want my chicken burnt. I cooked the chicken for about 5 minutes without any sauce. After about 5 minutes I coated the chicken with the sauce and cooked it for about another 20 minutes turning it frequently.

The result was delicious. And the best part? I survived to tell you all about it! Only sad part is I dont have any pictures for it. Well...I know I am making it again. So I am sure I will put it up sometime soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment