Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Egg, bacon and tomato sandwich

Ok so now that I am officially on the South beach diet, I am looking for low glycemic food options. And on their website they have this egg,bacon and tomato sandwich which I really wanted to try.

As usual though I had to tweak things a bit. The big one being I did not use the oven to make my tomatoes. I did not want to turn on the oven for two tiny bits of tomatoes. Being green and all that. Here is my version of the recipe, which turned out delicious. I think its going to be a big fav in my kitchen.



Ingredients:
  • Fat slices of tomatoes. 2 for each person.
  • 2 teaspoon fresh chopped coriander (for every 2 tomato slices).
  • Mustard. The recipe called for Dijon, but I used regular. About 1 teaspoon (for every 2 tomato slices). Just to coat the top of the tomato.
  • 1 slice low fat turkey bacon (for every 2 tomato slices)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper.
  • 1 egg.
  • The recipe called for white wine vinegar to poach the eggs. It seems that putting in white wine vinegar in the boiling water before you put in your eggs help the eggs stay together. I need to try that one out. Today though I used normal water to poach the eggs.
Method:
  • Put in a saucepan of water to boil for the eggs.
  • Spray a little oil on a skillet and put in your tomato slices. Medium heat works fine. Since I did not turn the tomatoes over to cook I just had to make sure the heat was high enough to cook the tomato slices thoroughly but not high enough to burn the slice underneath. 
  • Once the tomato slices are in sprinkle the chopped coriander on top of it. Also spread about a teaspoon of mustard over the tomato slices. Cover and cook.
  • If you have a big enough skillet you can use the same skillet to make your bacon. Else, cook your bacon in another pan and when it is done crumble it and spread over the tomato slices. Cook thoroughly. About 10 minutes in medium heat, covered.
  • In the mean time poach your eggs to the desired done-ness.
  • Once all are cooked, transfer the tomato slices with the toppings onto a plate. Top off with the poached eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment