Thursday, December 5, 2013

Kumato

Today we went to Safeway and were looking for tomatoes when I saw these interesting looking tomatoes known as Kumatoes. We bought them. It didnt taste very different...maybe a teeny tiny bit sweeter.


I found a lot of interesting things about Kumatoes online so I thought I would share starting with the pictures.

Kumato was developed in Spain. It is a hybrid tomato.  sales started off in Europe and Australia. But I guess now its available in America as well. 

A lot of information is available on its website...But here is a gist..
  • Kumato® is grown in Spain, France, Belgium, Holland, Switzerland, Greece, Turkey and Canada, where the fruits ripen under optimum climatic conditions to ensure the highest fructose level and perfect firmness.
  • The expert growers selected follow strict protocols and crop management procedures that respect the environment.
  • As a result of rigorous quality controls from the moment they are harvested through to display at the point of sale, only the highest quality fruits are selected.
  • All handling, packaging, storage and transport is carried out in temperature controlled hygienic environments, using methods that comply with international health standards for industrial premises (Eurepgap/BRC/IFS)is truly exceptional. Try it and you will experience authentic tomato flavour. Intense and sweet. Welcome to a world of sensations all the year round. Welcome to Kumato®.
One thing about growing Kumatoes is that it seems you cant! 

"Kumato seeds are not available commercially, and the company that produces Kumato, Syngenta, has said they will never make the seeds available to the public".


Did I like the tomato? I dont know..I could make out that it was MAYBE a tiny bit sweeter. Would I buy it again...absolutely. It looks pretty. Would it be a regular thing on my table? Probably not...Aren't our kitchens flooding with genetically modified food already?

No comments:

Post a Comment