Monday, December 23, 2013

Chilli Tofu




I am not a big fan of tofu. To say I dislike it is safe. However, recently I took a guest of mine to HMart, the Korean Superstore (note to self: write a post on HMart).. He saw tofu there and he said that it reminded him of his days in China. So I bought some tofu to see if I can make something with it. After hunting for some recipes online, the one thing I wanted to try was Chilli Tofu (original recipe here). It looked really good so I decided to try it out. Result? I went back to the store and bought some more tofu...we have made this dish about 3 times in 2 weeks. Yes..it is that good!

We start by making a marinade. 

(For the marinade)
  • 1 block extra-firm tofu cut into cubes.
  • 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • 1 tsp soy sauce. I use the low sodium version.

Mix the ingredients and make a paste. Toss the tofu into the paste and coat tofu blocks with it. Set aside. The first time I left it for 20 minutes. The next time I left it for longer. I do not think it matters how long you leave it. Once done spray some oil in a non-stick pan (the first time I made this I used a heavy bottom pan...did not work. Non-sticks are made for a reason. LOL). Saute the tofu until the sides brown. Set aside.
Now for the next part. The things you need are
  • 1 large green bell pepper, sliced
  • 1 green chili, minced
  • 3 tsp canola oil
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 tbsp ground coriander powder
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 large onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tsp garlic-garlic paste
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce.
  • 1 tsp cornflour mixed into 1/4 cup water
  • 1-2 tbsp soy sauce
  • Salt to taste
  • Green, leafy coriander for garnish.
Heat some oil in another pan. When hot add the cumin seeds and wait for it to sputter. Then add ginger garlic paste and onion. Cook till the onion becomes translucent. When done add coriander powder , black pepper powder and chilli. Toss around and then add green pepper. Cook till the bell pepper softens. Then add the tofu and stir. Finally add the soy sauce and the cornflour mixed with water. Stir and mix well. Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander.

Tastes best with rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment