Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ayiti

So recently I was in Haiti for some work. I want to write about the food there.

Since I was there for a long time I got to taste local food. The staple diet there is rice and beans. And fried everything else..ha ha. OK so I had a lot of fried chicken. They told me that they boiled the chicken to cook it first and then they boiled it. Nothing special about either the rice or chicken...in fact in some places the chicken was quite greasy. However, the water that was left over after boiling the chicken in it...I guess we could call it stock..They made some kind of sauce with it. That was just awesome...specially when paired with rice. And of course, there was the fried as well as boiled plantains. All regular stuff. With lots of fruits for dessert and fresh juice!

This was boiled carrots and potato...with mayonnaise. Highway to heart attack!

Fried chicken and plantains...expressway to heart attack

Rice with beans..simple, staple food

The sauce...Yummmm!!


OK..so on the last day of my stay in Haiti, I went to this restaurant. It was in Petite Reviere de Nippes and I cannot remember the name of the place even to save my life! But this is what happened. I went in with another girl from the clinic for dinner and also because we were meeting this guy...Mike! He said the fish was real good in the place so I ordered fish. In the meantime, I ordered Prestige Beer



Now normally I am not a big fan of beer...but you see I was in Haiti. I was willing to try stuff (except maybe cat...which I was told is a delicacy here). But everyone told me about Prestige, about how it had won 2008 World Beer Cup. So I was like..OK let me try. And I am glad I did. It was light, not bitter...and sort of nutty tasting beer. Very very good. I wanted to get some back for Mono..sadly I had just one carry on. Next time surely! I just found out that they also won 2012 Beer Cup. So ya...truly good beer. And this one comes from a non beer-drinker. OK enough of beer...Next. 

Moonshine. Sugarcane based. 80% alcohol. Illegal in US. Took a shot. ALL of it vanished in my mouth. Got me drunk. Enough said!

And lastly, along with all that alcohol I had this fish. Again, I dont eat fish. But Mike convinced me that it was the best fish he had ever had, and that people swore by the fish. So I was like...OK Sure...and I was happy. Very very happy. It was Rock fish. And it was grilled. Lemony, tangy tasting divinity. It had no sea food smell...Not just the best fish I have ever eaten, but one of the best food I have ever had. I wish however they had not served it with french fries. I wish they had something more local...But who cares? The fish was a meal in itself. I repeat. It was divine. 

So overall I had a good time. Good food, good alcohol, great company (I missed Mono) and the sea. What more could a person want? 

No comments:

Post a Comment