Sunday, March 25, 2012

Flan




OK before I made this thing I didn't know 2 things...
1. Flan is a super-easy to make Mexican sweet dish
2.There are things called evaporated milk which is available in cans.I looked up Wikipedia...turns out its a milk in which 60 percent water has been removed.That means...if you boil milk for real long, till it turns real think, that's evaporated milk.OK?
So lets get started

You need:
3/4 cup sugar
About 250 ml evaporated milk
About one can condensed milk (Milkmaid).I don't use the entire can.I cheat and pour it on the dish and leave a lot behind so that I can lick it off as I cook...I know.I am disgusting....but I cant help it.I LOVE milkmaid :)
3 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F

Put the sugar into a heavy bottomed dish (that you will be using later to bake in, so make sure its oven safe) spread it evenly and heat the dish.Directly over gas.So that the sugar starts melting (caramelizing).Make sure you stir the sugar occasionally.Once the sugar melts it will start turning brownish.Don't let it burn...just brown.Remove from heat when it becomes that colour and leave it to cool.With a spoon coat the sides of the dish a little with the syrup.

Now put the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix it well.Put this mixture over the caramelized sugar (be sure that the sugar is cold).

Now put this vessel in a water bath.You know...bigger vessel with about 1 inch boiling water.

Now bake this entire thing for about 45-50 minutes. I had a little bit of mix left with me so I tried making that in simple water bath..instead of baking it.Turns out, it doesn't work.Not in the same time anyways....maybe it will if you boil it longer.But boiling for over an hour is a pain...and i firmly believe in 'save energy save life'...so make life more comfortable.just bake this thing.

After the mixture gets all firm remove it carefully from the water bath.Cool.

Put the flan in the fridge for minimum 4 hours before serving.
To serve just invert the flan onto the serving dish.There will be liquid in the dessert so make sure the serving dish isn't a flat plate ...

PS: I found the dish a bit TOO sweet for my taste.So well adjust accordingly.Just the caramelizing sugar though.Nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment