Sunday, March 25, 2012

Parsi dish with lentils and potato



One of those days when I had a carbs craving....

OK the stuff I used were the day to day stuff that is found in any Indian kitchen, viz,
mung dal...about 1 cup.I didn't know what mung dal in English was so I have attached a picture of it here.Tell me what these are called in English OK?
Some water to boil the mung dal in.

OK take the 2 together.And boil it for about 30 minutes so that the dal is cooked but not soft.After they are done drain and set aside.

Next we need,

  • Around 5 medium sized potatoes peeled and diced to about 2 inch cubes.
  • Some oil
  • Cumin seed
  • About 4 large green chilies finely chopped (yes the dish is REALLY hot)
  • about 4 garlic cloves...chopped
  • Some amount of ginger....grated
  • Some turmeric...powder one.For yellow colour in the food.
  • Some chili powder (as much as you can take)
  • Salt to taste
  • Some sugar (Bengali's use a lot of sugar in their food.Even in their meats....I used to laugh at them...and would even go as much as to say 'ewwww' you people don't know how to cook.But I added sugar to this this...and now I swear by sugar in all my dishes.Of course for health reasons I wont put sugar in ALL the food I cook.But there will be sugar in my special meals...the flavour changes when you put sugar in the meal..try and then see)
  • Some curry leaves
  • About 1 and half cup tomato puree
  • Cumin seed powder
  • Cilantro/Dhania to garnish
OK so now heat the pan and pour some oil in it.When the oil is very hot....fuming...add the cumin see till it starts popping.I love the smell of cumin in HOT oil...reminds me of my grandmother :) Anyways once the cumin is done add the chillies ginger and garlic....stir continuously else the 3 will burn.To this add turmeric....just a little.Once this mixture had been cooked in high flame add the tomato puree.Add salt to taste and about 1/2 tbsp of sugar.Add the chili powder as well.OK now once the tomato is done add the potatoes in...and cook it thoroughly.You can also parboil the potatoes and put them in ....but I like to cook the potatoes in the sauce so that the flavour goes in well..Anyways if you decide to cook the potato in the sauce then you should add a little water at a time so that you don't burn anything.When the potatoes are almost done add the mung dal in it.Add a little water and cook till the potatoes are completely done.

The consistency of the food should be gravy like.

To be served with chappatis/rotis.


OK like I have mentioned before I don't like saying add 1/2 tsp this and 3/4 tbsp that...the flavours and the taste is entirely up to you.Even once a week in the kitchen is enough to teach you how much to add what??

No comments:

Post a Comment